Orientation Resources

Welcome to the University of Utah Mechanical Engineering Department!

We are thrilled that you decided to pursue a degree at the University of Utah! We have created this page so that you can access any information you need for your first semester at the U. If you haven’t already, please make sure you have signed up for an University Orientation, completed the online modules, and completed the Mechanical Engineering online live Orientation session. You will not be able to register for classes until you complete each of these tasks. As always, please reach out to your advisor if you have any questions.

  1. Pay Deposit to University of Utah
  2. Register for Orientation
  3. Complete University Online Orientation Module
  4. Sign-up for Live Session with the Department of Mechanical Engineering
  5. After you complete the online module and the live session, on the week of your orientation both holds will be removed and you can register.

You will not be able to make an appointment with you advisor until you have completed the live session.

Contact your advisor by following this link.

College of Engineering Orientation Website

On this website you will find information about each major and what they are doing for orientation. This is where you can find information if you no longer want to pursue Mechanical Engineering. You can also find:

  • COE Weekly Live Student & Faculty Panels
  • Computer Requirements

Frequently Asked Questions

The first thing you will need to do before registering is figure out what your math placement is. Use the resources below to find out your math placement.

Building your Schedule

If you are taking a math refresher course or Math 980, please watch this video on how to add a non-credit career.


Navigating CIS

Regardless of what major you choose, you must complete a set of University-wide Graduation Requirements before receiving your Bachelor’s degree. Your advisor can help you understand these requirements and how to select appropriate courses to complete them. We can also help you understand the specific requirements for both the major and the university as well as inform you if any transfer or concurrent courses will fulfill these requirements.

  • Finding General Education Course

  • AP Physics C Exam – Score Needed: 4 or higher
    • Mechanics – Waives PHYS 2210
    • Electricity & Magnetism – Waives PHYS 2220
    • Phys 1, 2, B – Will not fulfill any ME physics requirement
  • AP Chemistry – Score Needed: 4 or Higher
    • Chemistry – Waives CHEM 1210
    • Lab notebook – Waives CHEM 1215 (Talk to your advisor in First Year Advising)

Associates Degrees

Associates of Science from a State of Utah College or University

  • Clears all general education requirements

Associates of Pre-Engineering

  • Will not clear all of your general education requirements

Associates of Science or Bachelor’s degree from Out of State

  • May no clear the AI but should clear the rest of the general education requirements

Don’t have an associates degree but took general education courses? You will need to submit a General Education Exception form for each of these to be reviewed individually.

Concurrent Enrollment

If you took courses at a community college or university while in high school, some of those courses may transfer over as prerequisites or major courses. Below you will see a list of courses that will transfer directly to the major. If you have taken courses that aren’t on this chart, ask your advisor how those courses will transfer.

Course Equivalents at Out-of-State Institutions – Talk to Advisor


If it has been more than 2 years since you took an AP exam or ACT/SAT you will need to take a math accuplacer to renew your math placement score. This will place you into a math class as high as Calculus I.

*You will not need to take the Accuplacer if you received a 5 on the AP Math BC exam within 4 years

You will need a permission code to enroll in a course for which you completed a prerequisite during Spring or Summer 2020 or at an out-of-state institution. A form should be submitted to each department matching the course you want to take.

Academic Skills Course

We designed this course to support our sophomores, juniors, and seniors if they are struggling or want to improve their learning strategies. If you are a transfer student, this would be a great course for you to enroll in to help you transition to the U. We offer the first session for those who need the motivation to start the semester and offer a second session if you feel like you will need a boost mid-semester.


Success in Mechanical Engineering

This course was created to help first year students in their transition to college life at the University of Utah. In this course students will learn a lot about themselves, learning strategies, the major, and resources at the University. We will have 2 sections this fall. One section will be reserved for students participating in the learning community and the second section  (ME EN 2960-004) is available to any student, including pre-mechanical students.

The University of Utah has so much to offer you and several resources to support you during your time here at the university.

Mechanical Engineering


Your Ucard will give you access to public transportation (for free), building/lab access, and several other things while on campus. You won’t need your UCard until you are on campus, but this website will help you navigate the steps to receive your UCard when you come to campus.

Student Organizations

Student Organizations are a great way to meet people and get involved right away at the University of Utah. There are over 300 clubs at the U centered around anything from the outdoors, ethnicity, hobbies, and major and you can pick any club that interests you! Use this link to filter by interest and find a club that you want to join! When the semester starts, look for information on the engineering club rush and university club fair.

Campus Recreation

You can rent outdoor equipment, attend fitness courses, climb, and go to the gym all in one spot on campus!


There are many ways to get support in your coursework here at the U. Check out all the links below that you can use to help you transition into college life.

Supporting Office on Campus

The University of Utah has many offices that are purely here to help you be successful and guide you in your journey.

Parking at the U